Meeting Minutes - November 13, 1997
State Street Neighborhood Association Meeting Minutes Nov. 13, 1997 Lakeview School Library
Dan Krehbiel called the meeting to order, introduced himself, Rosie Winters, Don Winters, and Trudy Goldkamp as the organizers of the new State Street Neighborhood Association. He also introduced Nancy Roach from the Kirkland Alliance of Neighborhoods and Mary Alyce Burleigh from the North Rose Hill Neighborhood Association.
Dan mentioned the need to incorporate our new association in order to be recognized by the city.
One copy of the document detailing our concerns and recommendations regarding the proposal by Ultra Corp. to build a large office / light industrial project at the Pace Chemical site, which the association has sent to Jeremy McMahon and to other interested parties, was on each table at the meeting.
Dan mentioned three things we needed to do at the meeting:
1. come to a consensus on the our response to the proposed Pace project.
2. elect officers.
3. form committees.
Dan briefly outlined what has been done so far:
1. letters of record have been sent in by most residents of the area around 7th Ave. S.
2. we attended a meeting held by Ultra Corporation at Pace and discussed the project with Max Gurvich and his architect.
3. we wrote the eleven page document to the city.
The recommendations that had been put forth in the eleven page document were discussed:
• the closure of 7th Ave. S. was discussed. It was asked if the fire dept. had been asked about this. Dan responded that it had not, as yet. Consensus was reached on closure and no one spoke in opposition.
• shuttle bus idea was discussed for the Pace project.
• flex hours was mentioned as a way to mitigate impacts.
• terracing and moving a portion of the upper floor of the north building to the south building was discussed. It was felt that this would lessen impacts on neighbors to the north and west. Nancy Roach mentioned that Lakeview School might be negatively effected by a higher building to the south.
• sound and light impact mitigations were discussed.
• drainage was mentioned as a concern that was not yet mentioned in our document.
• Dan said that he would check on city plans to rebuild utilities on 7th Ave. S.
• Dan talked about ped / bike trails planned for the area.
• Marcia Alberti asked if it might not be possible for the Pace project to have a cafeteria.
• Whether to keep existing trees on the Pace site was discussed. Most present were in favor of keeping existing trees. Leslie Keller mentioned that undergrowth on the west side of the Pace site offered some privacy at her Moss Bay Condominium and would like that to remain. Elsa thought removing the trees was best.
• the lack of proposed sidewalks in the project was mentioned. Plans to connect the project to Lakeview School have been abandoned, Dan reported.
Mary Alice Burleigh mentioned that it would be a good idea for someone in the association to watch the Eastside Journal to find mention of proposed projects that might effect our area.
Dan suggested that he and Rosie Winters act as co-chairs of the association until officers can be properly elected. A show of hands unanimously agreed.
Volunteers were asked for other positions:
Leslie Keller volunteered to be treasurer.
Karen MonteCalvo volunteered to be secretary.
Bevin Richardson volunteered to help with bylaws.
Janice King volunteered to help with publicity.
Phone tree and hospitality sign ups were suggested.
Neighborhood boundaries were discussed. Should we be small or include all of the Central Area as defined by the city? Nancy Roach said that we would be eligible for some grants if we conformed to the city’s neighborhood boundaries.
The next meeting was tentatively scheduled for Dec. 11.
Note—It was later decided to include the area of the Central Neighborhood and we incorporated as the State Street/Central Neighborhood Association, with boundaries as defined by the City for the Central Neighborhood. see map
Comments are closed.